Before I share the recipe, I want to share a glimpse of the history of Haleem, how this amazing dish arrived in British India.
Haleem originated as an Arabic dish with meat and grain as the main ingredients. It was introduced by the Arabs to British-India in the late 7th century, and by the time it became one of the most delightful dishes in many countries. The addition of local flavors to the original recipe resulted in a taste different from other types of Haleem.
Haleem is one of the most popular cuisines in South Asia, especially in India and Pakistan.
1 cup wheat
¼ cup 1 tbsp barley
¼ cup white maash daal
1 cup channa daal
¼ cup moong daal
¼ cup masoor daal
¼ cup rice
½ to ¾ cup oil
2 ½ lbs preferably boneless veal or beef stew (without fat), mutton and chicken can be used as well
1 ½ cup chicken or beef stock
1 ½ heaped tablespoon red chilli powder ( according to taste )
Salt to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons ginger garlic paste,
1 tablespoon heaped coriander powder
1 ½ teaspoon level turmeric powder
1 ½ large onions sliced for frying
Spices for sealed pot cooking
1 level teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder, ¼ teaspoon mace powder, ½ teaspoon black cumin, ½ teaspoon green, cardamom powder.
Ingredients for Garnishing
Lemon, green chillies, fried onions, julienned ginger, chaat masala.
- Wash and soak all seven grains for 6 to 8 hours. In a pan, fry onions until golden-brown, adding meat, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, stock and salt. Cook until korma is tender.
- In a large separate pot, boil pre-soaked grains until tender, approximately for 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- Eyeball the water quantity (for boiling and cooking) depending on the required consistency and thickness of the haleem.
- Once boiled, put grains in blender and blend roughly, pouring the blended grains back in the pot for cooking.
- Repeat the blending process with the meat korma, pouring the roughly blended korma into the cooking grains.
- Mix thoroughly on low to medium flame, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until the correct consistency, tasting for salt and chilli content. The haleem must be well blended.
- Now add all five sealed-pot ingredients and mix well. Seal the pot and let steam for a few minutes.
Garnish and serve with a side of naan.